For many TCKs we've moved a lot. If someone randomly comes up to me and says where is your home and where you are from? I would stop and stare. I wouldn't know exactly what to say. I'm from America by blood yet I don't feel american and don't really want to associate myself as an american. I grew up in two parts of this island called Bahrain but I don't feel like its home there either. Not to mention my hair and skin colour make me feel extra different.
For some tcks there will be moments of awkward pauses because one thing is true. We have no home on this earth. No matter where we go where we travel we may find senses of this is what home will be like but it never lasts long enough to enjoy it.
For me when I'm around my TCK friends and worship God that is when I feel the most at home, but those times are rare and I'm come to realize this world is not my home. Only heaven is and I'm just an individual made to make a small difference on a big world which I will travel but never settle.
For some tcks there will be moments of awkward pauses because one thing is true. We have no home on this earth. No matter where we go where we travel we may find senses of this is what home will be like but it never lasts long enough to enjoy it.
For me when I'm around my TCK friends and worship God that is when I feel the most at home, but those times are rare and I'm come to realize this world is not my home. Only heaven is and I'm just an individual made to make a small difference on a big world which I will travel but never settle.
The truth is that becuase we're third culture kids, the most at home we ever feel is when we're with other people of our same culture, and I'm not talking about americans, or germans, or bahrainis, but people who have had multiple cultures like you and I. It doesn't mean that we can't have amazing friendships with people that aren't TCK's, but there will always be a special relationship between TCK's that we'll never have with anybody else.
ReplyDelete